Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hospital

My parents & Ashley came to visit on August 31st - September 6th on their way to take Ashley back to BYUI. The day they arrived (Tuesday), my Dad was weak, tired and very sick, so he went downstairs and slept. He was not getting any better, so I convinced my Mom to take him to the ER. Two weeks prior to this, he had "lithotripsy", which is the non-invasive treatment of kidney stones using shock wave pressure pulses. After all of the blood tests, they determined that the cause was "sepsis", which is a condition in which the body is fighting a severe infection that has spread via the bloodstream, possibly from the stent that was put in after the lithotripsy. Anyway, he was in the hospital from Wednesday until Saturday. He was feeling a little bit better after they released him but still very weak & tired. He ended up spending more time in the hospital in AZ, after they got home, because the infection did not completely clear and he started getting sick again. On October 19th, he had surgery where the urologist went in and took out the kidney stones in one of his kidneys so that kidney is now "stone free". In Lon's words, he is no longer "stoned". Anyway, my Dad has been dealing with kidney stones, off and on, since 1975, so is glad they are gone in one kidney. And, I am thankful he is doing better and healing!

tests in the ER

visitors

My Dad now calls me "nurse" Melanie

neat TV screens

New hospital in Gooding that opened March 2010


4 comments:

Stephanie Johnson said...

That was the best summary I've heard yet. I had no idea that Dad has had kidney stones for 36 years! I'm glad he's feeling better, Nurse Melanie.

chapples8 said...

Very good report Melanie. Dad read it and said he really liked it but his kidney stone episode started in 1975, not '74.:)

Melanie said...

Fixed the date. :-)

France said...

Thanks for the update. I had heard a little bit from my parents. Glad to hear your dad is doing better. Lashelle