Sunday, February 15, 2009

Special Olympics in ID

I (Lon) volunteered for the Special Olympics World Winter Games (like the Olympics) on Feb. 11th & 12th in Sun Valley with the cross-country skiing events. This is the USA team (I am not sure if this was in preparation for the 4 X 1K relay competition or to keep them entertained). The coach had 3 teams of 4 people line up behind these portable bathrooms. He had them run around the bathrooms and tag the next athlete in line. When they got done, the athletes wanted to do it again to practice. It was funny to watch! The blue entrance by the white with red stripe tent was our medical tent. It is actually a tent they use for homeland security/natural disasters. We used the snowmobiles for transportation off the course to the medical tent. Who can find the most differences between these 2 pictures? One of the many awards ceremonies. Each athlete was placed in a specific division of each race (I don't know what it was based on). Some divisions had up to 8th place awarded. These 2 athletes, from Canada, wanted me to tape their injuries prior to each race. The young man came back after winning his 1st silver medal and wanted his knee taped again. I told him that it would be a gold medal tape job. He came back Thursday morning and showed me his 2nd silver medal. I told him that I would do my best tape job for a gold medal. The medical tent called me, that afternoon when I was home, and told me that the young man wanted to tell me that he had won a gold medal and that my tape job was a gold medal tape job!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I am pround to know that my brother in law is a gold medal taper! Way to be:) Looks like a fun experience Lon! So, what is the difference in the 2 pictures? all I see are a few people we are in one picture but not the other? I am curious!

Melanie said...

You are right---just a few people. Lon is silly.

Stephanie Johnson said...

I just want the gold tape. Do you have any to spare? :) Haha!

chapples8 said...

Way to go Lon. Great report and pictures on the Olympics. That's cool that you could be there and help. We loved the story about the gold medal tape job!:)